Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Oral History of Therese Camet


August 15, 2008
Interviewers: Fredison C. Lo and Bryan Mojica

Fredison: My name is Fredison Lo, and we’re doing this interview, an oral history of Therese Camet, as a final project for INTPRIN.

Ms. Camet: Hi, I’m Therese Camet of Manila Bulletin. I write for the Lifestyle section of Manila Bulletin, and I’ve been with them for 6 years running.

Fredison: So, first of all, how did you actually get to Manila Bulletin? Did you immediately apply for Manila Bulletin after college?

Ms. Camet: Well, I graduated in the year 2000 and I started working in Manila Bulletin in 2002. So I had 2 years experience doing five other jobs before bulletin. The reason why I ended up working in Manila Bulletin was because, during that time, when I was still working for these other companies, I realized that, in a way, I kind of missed the life of a writer where you get to interview a lot of people. I like meeting new people, talking, and interviewing, and that’s when I decided that maybe I should try to apply to and hopefully get a job in a newspaper. At that time, I had no idea that I’d end up in Manila Bulletin or whatever, so what I did was I submitted my resume to the top three broadsheets: Inquirer, Star and Bulletin. To be honest I was even hesitant to submit my resume to Manila Bulletin, but ironically, it was the first company who gave me a call after a week when I submitted my resume, and that’s how everything started.

Fredison: So was journalism really your first passion?

Ms. Camet: No, I’ve always been into writing since middle school, high school, and college. But believe it or not, it’s not really my passion. Call it destiny or whatever, but it’s not something that I really want to do. For me, when I applied for the school paper, way back in high school and even in college, I just wanted to apply; I just wanted to be part of it so that, in the future, when I look for a job, they can see that I can also write. So in a way, it’ll give me more opportunities in terms of looking for jobs. So journalism or writing is not really my passion. But I don’t know why or what I’m still doing here, (giggles) and I’ve been doing it, like I said, professionally for the past six years. I’m not going to lie that I do love my job and I do love what I do. But then again, bottom line is that it’s (journalism) not really my first love.

Bryan: Then what is your real passion?

Ms. Camet: (giggles) It’s kind of not connected to journalism. To be honest, I don’t really know, but what I do know is I’m really into sports. I have a very active lifestyle. I’m a rower, I’m part of a dragon-boat team, and our team is called Aqua Fortis. So you can also say that, I’m a full-time journalist, but I’m a part-time athlete. But I don’t want to be a sports writer or anything like that just because I’m into sports. Liking sports is a different story from liking to be a sports writer.

Fredison: Ok, so you said that you were in Manila Bulletin for six years?

Ms. Camet: Yes, six years.

Fredison: So how were your first few years in Manila Bulletin like?

Ms. Camet: It was very exciting. Until now, it’s still exciting, but I guess it’s not as exciting as before. Of course when you’re new to the job, everything’s new, and it’s sort of like a whole new experience. It was really fun, because I got to travel. I still get to do that until now. It’s a totally new experience, for me, when you travel, especially when everything is free. Since you’re a journalist, you’re part of the media, and the PR’s, the host, they really take care of you. They provide you everything, like when they tell you to go to a certain event, whether it’s just a regular presscon in Manila, out of the country or out of town even, they’ll provide everything for you, as in they’ll really pamper you. So it was really exciting. At the same time, since I’m with the lifestyle section, it’s not boring or it doesn’t bore me, because I get to cover different events. You’re not just covering one particular meet. We also get invitations to cover, let’s say, an animal fashion show or even a travel event. Since it’s lifestyle, I get to cover fashion events, as in basically anything under the sun. So it’s really exciting..

Fredison: Manila Bulletin is located in Intramuros right? So in your first few years, how was the newspaper in terms of your job? In terms of its physical facilities, the people you worked for, and the working conditions like the hours, how many hours a day.

Ms. Camet: Ok.

Bryan: Isa isa lang.

Ms. Camet: oh ok, when I started, my schedule’s always been the same when I first started out. I’ve always had a flexible schedule, so if we don’t have a press-conference or interview in the morning, we just have to be in the office by 2pm, and since we have a flexible schedule, we just go home anytime when we get done with our page. Back then my editor was Ethel Timbol, she retired already last year. So when she goes home, we can also go home as long as we’re done with our work. Sometimes we work, basically, for four hours a day, like 2 to 6. But then sometimes I prefer writing my stories at home. So in a way, you can say that you can take your work home. You can also do that if you’re not comfortable writing your stories at the office. Before, you can actually say that the equipment we had was very low-tech, even the computers. We didn’t even have internet connection. If we needed to do research or anything involving the internet, we had to go to the internet department. Fortunately, just this year, we were provided (giggles) new computers with internet connection. We have a new office, so everything’s better now. so…(giggles)

Bryan: You live in Imus(Cavite) right?

Ms. Camet: Yes.

Bryan: Wasn’t it hard for you to work in Intramuros while living at Imus?

Ms. Camet: Well, not really, even though it’s always traffic. If you think about it, Imus is not that far from Intramuros, it becomes far because of the traffic. But with my schedule, since I have a flexible schedule, it wasn’t really a problem, because I could just wake up a little earlier, and if I didn’t have an interview or presscon event somewhere, I’d normally leave the house by noon, just to make sure that I’ll be in the office by 2pm. It’s the same thing at night, when I go home. It’s only a problem when I have an early event in the morning. Of course there’s rush hour in the morning, because that’s when everybody goes to work. Before, when I started, I used to commute, but it’s a different story now, because I drive now, so it’s faster.

Bryan: During that very hectic schedule, did you have any slip-ups along the way?

Ms. Camet: Like what?

Bryan: Like you didn’t make it to this event or something.

Ms. Camet: Probably the usual scenario is I get there late. But it doesn’t really matter because most of the journalists arrive late. (giggles) We’re never on time, except when it’s a one-on-one interview, that’s when we really have to make it on time. Of course you really have to be on time, otherwise, it’s embarrassing. But if it’s a public event or just a press conference, we don’t really care if we get there on time. I guess you ca say that it’s ok to be late for an hour, or even sometimes an hour and a half. Like I said, they’ll provide you with the materials anyway, so you don’t really have to witness everything. After the event, they’ll give you the materials, and then it’s up to you whether you want to get additional information. So that’s when you can do a one-on-one interview with the person who’s there.

Fredison: So in terms of editors and deadlines, were there any memorable editors or maybe some memorable deadlines? For example, a terror editor maybe?

Ms. Camet: (nods head)

Fredison: Can you name some?

Ms. Camet: Of course! My former editor, Mrs. Ethel Soliven Timbol. She’s the sister of the late Max Soliven of The Philippine Star. She’s really popular in the industry. When you say Ethel Timbol, people already know who she is. You don’t have to you know or talk about her. People already know her name, even though they don’t know her personally. She was my boss, and in a way when we describe her, we describe her as “the devil boss”, as in Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada. She was like that, but a lot worse. (giggles) But she was really good. I realized that after she retired. It’s good when you have a terror or a strict boss because it’s different compared to having lenient bosses in terms of training and discipline. I guess you can say that you tend to become more professional.

Bryan: Can you give us an example of a situation with you’re boss?

Ms. Camet: Oh, there’s so many to mention!

Bryan: Any one of those is fine.

Ms. Camet: It’s like this, when she edits our story, normally she does it on a Wednesday. Just not on a Friday, because Friday’s a busy day. That’s when we layout our Sunday page. You know Sunday, Sunday bulletin is always the thickest right? So we’re not allowed to submit our story on a Friday, if we do, she gets really mad. So it’s like this, when she gets to the office, she’ll say, “oh, where are your stories?” Whether it’s finished or not, you have to submit it, or she’ll say, “I’m not on your service!” She’s always shouting, and she humiliates you in public. In our office before, we had cubicles, but everybody, including the other writers from other sections, can still see you. There was no privacy, but it was ok. It was humiliating but at the same time ok, because she’s for being like that, it’s normal.

Fredison: So they all get her?

Ms. Camet: Sort of. But there are times when it she really gets irritating. A lot of people really say that what she does to you is really humiliating. But at the end of the day, it’s ok, because for her, it’s means nothing. She really doesn’t take it personally. I was with her for five years but I’ve never had the chance to really talk to her. We were always scared to approach her. The only time we talk to her is when she asks us something, like a simple question and we answer with just a yes or no. You really can’t seem to talk or have any kind of friendly conversation with her.

Bryan: So it’s no secret that the journalism business doesn’t pay that much.

Ms. Camet: yes.

Bryan: Have you ever thought that the job isn’t worth it? I mean, besides the stress, you don’t get paid much.

Ms. Camet: Yeah, but, especially when you’re getting older, like me. I’m thirty years old already. But before, when I was starting out, I was aware that this was my lowest salary when I started out. Like I said, without the perks, and the invites you get, it’s really not much of a salary. In a way, it covers up for the humble salary that you’re getting from the company. Probably, after several years, that’s when you realize that you can’t do this forever, especially when you’re preparing for your future. If you want to settle down, it’s really not enough. So if you really love your job so much and you want to keep it, you might as well look for a husband or a partner who’s really well-off and who’ll support you, otherwise, it really can’t raise a family.

Fredison: So how much was your salary when you started out?

Ms. Camet: It’s not like I’m proud or anything, but it’s really not a big deal, I always divulge, the figures, of my salary. (heaves) I think my first salary was only six thousand a month. So I really have to budget that. Like with the transportation money and everything, but it wasn’t a lot because I was commuting before. So it’s not even a hundred back and forth. But before, they give you a meal stub worth twenty-five pesos for the canteen, so we just used that for food. So basically, you just spend for your transportation. So if you’re not maluho, if you’re just going to worry about transportation, then it should be enough. But then as you get older, you spend for a lot more thing, and even if your salary goes up, it’s still not enough to cover everything.

Fredison: So how many hours was your job? And did you get a day-off during holidays?

Ms. Camet: yeah, since we’re the lifestyle section, we’re two days advanced. Unlike in the news section, it’s daily news, so it has to be fresh. They need to publish it the day before. But for us, we have materials already prepared, so we just select the materials whenever needed.

Fredison: How was the newspaper in terms of its deadlines?

Ms. Camet: It was quite lenient, because most of the events we cover don’t have ‘dates’, it’s either a post-event or something. You just have to make sure that you put it out and don’t take it for granted or take too much time just because you’re from the lifestyle section. For me, I try to write my stories right away, because I don’t want it to pile up. The latest time that I’d put it out is two or three weeks after I cover the event. But, since it doesn’t have a date, let’s say it’s a travel story, those kinds of stories usually aren’t in any hurry to be published. But if it’s like a post event, for example, I recently covered The Tiena: North Race 100, which was the longest ultra marathon they’ve ever done here in the Philippines. So that was three weeks ago. A week after that, I published it right away. Because otherwise, even if you say the event is over, if you take too long to write and publish it, the news story won’t sell anymore.

Bryan: In terms of your editors, how were they when it came to accuracy, ethics and drama aspects of the news editing?

Ms. Camet: They don’t notice everything. (giggles) Most of the time, they just correct the grammar, which is usually already obvious. Sometimes, like before with Mrs. Timbol. She wasn’t that blunt when it came to editing, but you would see some changes, like she tries to rephrase the sentence or make it simpler. But most of the time, they miss a lot of things. So it’s not enough that you let your editor edit or read your article. Make sure you read it too, after they’ve done their revisions. Because sometimes when they edit your story, they have a different interpretation of what you wrote, so they end up changing the meaning of your story. Of course you can’t blame them, since it’s not their story. You’re the author, so in times like that, you have to try to explain it to them. If you can’t, then might as well retain the original. Anyway, it’s your story, and your mistake, if something goes wrong, it’s your name on the line.

Bryan: Can you give us an example of an occurrence where it went through editing but still came out with some corrections?

Ms. Camet: yeah, I have one in mind. Actually, I wasn’t even aware until it was published and we received a letter from this museum, the article was about this museum, the GPR or something museum in General Trilles, I think. It was actually a caption of a picture. Actually, it wasn’t even my mistake, the caption was of an antique typewriter or something. But the layout artist, instead of writing or using the correct caption for that, he put in the caption ‘shotgun’ or something like that. So he made a mistake during the cut and paste procedure, and of course, it was really embarrassing, because even a little kid could tell that the picture wasn’t a machine gun or anything of the sort, but a typewriter. It was humiliating, not only to the viewers, but especially to the museum. The thing is, once the layout is finished, we don’t see it anymore. Because what we do is, after we finish writing our story, we give it to the editor and the editor edits it then gives it back to us so we can go over it again. Once it’s ok, you give it to the layout artist so he can do layout. After that, we leave it all to the layout artist and trust that he makes no mistakes, which is wrong. You should be there in the editing and the layout process most of all, because you have to see the finished product. So that you don’t end up pointing fingers at anyone since it’s your story and you were there during the whole process. Also, so that if there are changes, you can defend your story.

Fredison: So in terms of your editors, what was their attitude towards deadlines? And did they communicate this attitude to their reporters?

Ms. Camet: Yes sometimes the editor, will tell you immediately when she wants to see the story. As a journalist, I think you should already know when to submit it. Especially if it’s for example, a play, there’s a date for that, so you make sure you finish it way before the said date. Because the reason they ask you to cover that event is because they want to get it published before the play itself so they can, most likely, sell tickets. So I think you don’t have to be told when it comes to the deadline. But sometimes, for example, let’s say the owner or the PR of that event is your editor’s boss. Of course they immediately want to put it out whether there’s a date or not.

Fredison: So they’re really strict with deadlines?

Ms. Camet: In a way, yes.

Bryan: Has it ever occurred in the past that you missed a deadline?

Ms. Camet: I don’t think so, although there was this assignment which I (giggles) found pretty useless. Because at that particular assignment, we attended this event and we saw that there were also other writers from other sections of Bulletin, so that would mean like a duplication of a news story in the paper if we still covered the event. So naturally, we didn’t write about it since the other section was writing about it already. Anyway, in that case, it wasn’t our fault but the PR’s fault. Because they should know better than to invite two or more writers from the same newspaper. But if there’s a date, you can’t not write about it. But I don’t know if that answers your question. Maybe you mean like your editor wanted to see the story let’s say the next day and you forgot to do that, or you planned to do it on the day your editor wanted to see it, is that it?

Bryan: yeah

Ms. Camet: Well, I guess it’s ok. I mean as long as you know that there’s really no date, or you don’t have to rush it, then I think its ok. Worse case scenario is, your boss will get mad at you. (giggles) As long as you know that you’ll be able to publish the story on time, I think it’s ok.

Fredison: So during your six years in Manila Bulletin, did you have any memorable colleagues?

Ms. Camet: I think all of my colleagues from the original lifestyle section of Bulletin were memorable colleagues, because I’m actually the only one left of the original lifestyle writers. Ethel Timbol used to be our boss, but after she retired, my officemates startes quitting one by one, until I was the only senior writer left from that group, everybody else is new now. Some of them just joined recently and the others just came from a different section of Bulletin. Because what happened was, after Mrs. Timbol retired, they integrated all the other sections and made it a lifestyle section, one big lifestyle section. So it covered, the health section, the fashion section, the food section, even the travel section, and moms and babies, that’s now all under lifestyle.

Fredison: What made your previous colleagues unforgettable? Were they easy to work with?

Ms. Camet: Unforgettable, because we were like one big family. It was one for all, all for one. We were all against our boss. So we helped each other, we cover up and make excuses for each other. For example, I wanted to be absent for this day, we just let the assistant editor know and then it’s done. (giggles) In a way we also share everything, like if our assistant editor would get freebies or gifts or gift certificates from the PR, she shares it with her team. Unlike my editor before, she kept everything to herself. Even food! I’m sorry Mrs. Timbol! (giggles) I shouldn’t be divulging this kind of information. But like I said, I only learned to appreciate her after she left. Personally, I don’t think she would’ve been Mrs. Timbol if she had a different character or different attitude, because that’s what made her different, and that’s what makes her (hesitant) popular?..(giggles)

Bryan: While starting out, were there any unforgettable memories that you encountered as a younger reporter?

Ms. Camet: What kind of unforgettable memories? Like in terms of coverages?

Bryan: All sorts, like the one’s that are hard to forget.. like no matter how long it was then, you can still recall it now.

Fredison: Like for example, a news event you had to cover or something in the office.

Ms. Camet: (pauses to think) um…I can’t really think of one, but in terms of being memorable, it was such an honor and a great opportunity, not only for me, but I guess for all my officemates tat we got to work with Mrs. Timbol. Because until now, we can’t seem to run out of stories to tell. We could spend a whole day just talking about our memories and experiences with Mrs. Timbol. I’ll tell you different and funny stories, like this one time. Mrs. Timbol was pretty old already, so she was really old school and she wasn’t updated with the technologies and stuff like that. One time, when she got to the office, she needed to charge her phone. So she said, “Sinong may charger diyan?”, and then someone had a charger and handed it to her. She replied “Um.. ano ka? Smart o Globe?” (laughs) Here’s another story, she also didn’t know how to check her mail. So…

Bryan: E-mail?

Ms. Camet: Yes, we did everything for her, and most of the time, it sort of felt like extra load to our jobs, sometimes we just didn’t want to do it or we forget to do it, so when she asks, “Did anyone check the email?” we’ll just say, “Oh, ma’am ano.. down yung server natin” (laughs) or for example, we’re done with everything, we’re not doing anything anymore and we’re just staring at the computer pretending to be finishing up something and she’s still there reading our stories. We sort of get restless because it’s hard to pretend that you’re doing something when you’re really not. So what we do is we make the phone ring, and then we tell her “Ma’am! EDP!” EDP is like the department in charge of the computers, like the problems in the computers or whatever. So we’ll say, “Oh EDP! Kailangan na daw i-shut down yung computer kasi nag-hang. Kayo daw yung cause ng problem, yung computer niyo.” So of course, she’ll shut down her computer, and then after that, she’ll head home, allowing us to go home too. There are really a lot of stories to tell about her. She really is a character, and I guess being able to work with her is enough for me to say that my stay in Manila Bulletin was unforgettable, and then at the same time, I guess all the experiences that I gained can be considered unforgettable. I guess it’s not really about the money, I mean, believe it or not, I would always say “I’m resigning! I’m resigning!” I’ve probably been saying that for the past three years now, but I’m still here, and it’s just so hard to let go of all the perks. Yeah, so you’re not getting a high salary, not even enough to pay for gas. But it’s so hard to leave, because when I think about my schedule, I mean, I get to do sports, I get to row in the morning before I go to work and I can still even make it to the events at lunch. It’s just so convenient having a flexible schedule. It’s not like other work where you really work for what you’re earning. Here, your salary is fixed. Unless you have other ‘racket’, like for example you do freelance writing, or you work as a PR or whatever. So basically that’s that, but I don’t do that.

Fredison: For our last question. In your six years in Manila Bulletin. What were the important events that you covered? Or probably the most important.

Ms. Camet: I don’t think it was important, but it was probably a big deal because it was the State of the Nation Address. This was three years ago, but even with all the politicians and issues there, because it’s lifestyle, I wasn’t there to talk about politics, but I was there mainly to check out the gowns of the politicians. So it was in a way, fashion story. But there were also a lot of important events like my trips abroad, and even here in the Philippines, out of town. There’s really a lot to mention, but I can’t name them one by one.

Fredison: You graduated 1988 from your elementary school right? So you were able to experience things like martial law or Edsa II, do you have any significant experiences..

Ms. Camet: I don’t think so, I think Martial Law was already lifted at that time.

Fredison: Oh yeah, you were still young then.

Ms. Camet: yeah! (giggles) plus, we live here in Cavite, so I guess we’re not that affected, because we’re here in the province unlike in Manila.

Fredison: Ok well, that’s it! Thank you very much Ms. Therese.

No comments: