Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Oral History of Manuel Ces

August 20, 2008
Interviewers: Sabrina E. Cruz and Bianca S. Rodriguez

Interviewers– How were the circumstances leading to your employment with the newspaper People’s Journal?
Manuel Ces– I needed a job. At the time when I joined the Free Press, what happened was I was contributing to the Free Press, articles, and then, the executive editor said there was a vacancy. He wrote me. He asked me if I could join the magazine. I jumped at the chance. That was my first real job and I tried out editing some manuscripts. He liked it so he tried me.
I – Thank you. Where did you work prior to People’s Journal and what lead you to work for this newspaper? You already answered that but where did you work prior to People’s Journal?
MC –The Philippine Journalists Incorporated, we have several papers. Back then we had the broadsheet, Time’s Journal so I was there. Before I joined, PJI, Philippine Journalists Incorporated, I was working here in Makati in a magazine too. That was a trade magazine, three trade magazines. I mentioned that, Travel Post, Food Industry and Philippine Journalists.
I – Okay. How were the early years of People’s Journal? What were these years? Where was the newspaper located before?
MC – We were then at the Port Area in Manila.
I – When did you begin working for People’s Journal?
MC – Late 90’s, I can’t pinpoint the date.
I – Oh okay. How were the early years like? When you were working here, how was it?
MC –Back then, we were under sequestration from the government so we sort of... Well, I don’t know how to put it maybe, toeing the line? We just couldn’t hit Malacanang those days but we were free to publish stories.
I – But how is it different from now? It must’ve been different without the computers and the technology.
MC– Ah, technology, yes. As a matter of fact, I haven’t had the hang of these (gestures towards computers). I’m still groping.
I – So before everything, manual noh?
MC – Well, not really manual. We had the typewriter which I miss. I just love the typewriter. These computers are new fangled things for me.
I– So in the Port Area, the old office?
MC – Yeah.
I– How are the physical facilities? How was the building and the offices?
MC – The building was all right but through the years, of course, it deteriorated and well, it’s quite different from this one. But it was bigger.
I- Really?
MC – Yes and well, we were used to it. And this one’s, well, becoming homey.
I– How was the equipment? Was it advanced? Or was it kind of behind?
MC – Well right now, we are more advanced in the sense that everything is computerized. Before, we had manual headlining. And the transfer letter. You are familiar with that. Now everything is...
I – In the computer?
MC – Through the computer so it’s quicker, only sometimes there are glitches. When the server breaks down, like yesterday. We nearly went crazy.
I – Why? What happened?
MC - I don’t know. The server wouldn’t serve. The reporters were sending their stories but we weren’t getting them. They were in the internet, in the e-mail because stories now are e-mailed. And they were e-mailed but we couldn’t get them from this.. On this end.
I –Since now right the reporters e-mail their stories. Before, when you were working, how would you send your stories in when you had no internet or computers?
MC– Well before this set-up there was the fax. But before the fax, the stories were, well the reporters had to come to the office and write the stories there. If they couldn’t or there is a breaking news, very important, we, they call it in. Yes, so we take stories and we get a stiff neck. Because you do this, (gestures) the phone is here, this is the typewriter and you go (makes typing motion).
I – So when you began working, who and how were the people like? Like the editors, the publishers, colleagues? Was it still Mr. Villanueva? And how did you get along with your colleagues?
MC – Who were the editors?
I – Yes, and who were the editors, the publishers and how did you get along with them?
MC– When I joined the Philippine Journalists Incorporated, the editor in chief was Mr. Gus Villanueva. That was before the government took over. When the government took over, yes, they were good. They were good people, good to the workers and Mr. Villanueva was the one who hired me. I mean, he was the guy who had the hire and fire power so he said, okay, although he didn’t know me, when I came maybe he took a look at or listened to, the guys who asked me to join. And well he said, “Okay, you’re in.” It was good and right now, especially now, when you’ve got a problem you can run to him. They say he gives money. (laughs) And the guys then were okay, I didn’t have any trouble. I don’t know about the others because some would get into a fight. Some fellows are hot headed and their temper... They have tempers. They have short-fuses.
I – Who is hot-tempered?
MC – They blow their tops. Well, some are, well you know, when guys are... They believe too much in themselves, yeah, they tend to be onion-skinned, and jumpy. But most of the guys are okay. In my case, I never had any problems with them because I always ran away from a fight. (laughs)
I – (laughs) That’s good. It’s nice to be peaceful.
MC – No, it’s just that, once you... I don’t think that I really need to go into fights when you can talk and smooth things over. It’s just a matter of talking.
I – So how were the working conditions? The hours, the holidays, the salaries, deadlines?
MC– The hours are heavenly. Well, we have a bundy clock there (points). It’s a modern thing, you put your finger there and the lady says try it again. But we don’t, the editorial staff, we are not required to really say at this time we must be here. But you have to like me, I’m here but the boss is earlier, always early. Our working hours are really, because we are at the desk. I begin about 2 and that’s still leisurely. You can take your time, take coffee, gossip and after that, at 3, or especially at 4, 5, that’s when the stories pour in. And that’s when you look at your watch and there’s the deadline to beat. And you’re getting nervous because there’s no headline story, no big thing happening, yes and you’d like to wring the neck of your neighbor so you can have a headline.
I – Sir, what time is the deadline? Usually?
MC – Our deadline is for all, for all pages to be set up and ready for, ready to put to bed. That’s usually 6 or 7 but we can stretch it to 8 o clock.
I – In the morning?
MC –No, in the evening.
I – In the evening?
MC – Yes because we come out in the morning so the running time is from 12, the press, until early morning.
I –How about before you were an editor? What were the working conditions for you like, as a reporter?
MC – Before I worked, actually I wasn’t a newspaper man. I was a magazine man and we were a weekly. So there was more time to play around since you had your whole week. But this one is everyday. At the Free Press it was good because Teodoro Locsin was the editor, the father of Teddy Boy Locsin. Teddy Boy was there, a young teenager, 19, coming in whenever he felt like, he was writing already then. it was good because I was with the crème de la crème of Philippine Journalism then. I was with Kerima Polotan, I don’t know if you’re familiar with Kerima Polotan. There was Nap Rama, Nick Joaquin. You know Nick Joaquin, the icon. Teodoro Locsin Sr. There, they were my idols. I was young, inexperienced but they were very helpful yes, and they paid well.
I – How about now? How was your, how are the salaries here? Are you paid well?
MC – Well, I won’t say its tops but it’s okay. It’s just a matter of you managing your budget wisely. No more drinking around carousing because newspapermen are notorious for having a nightlife.
I – How about holidays? Do you get holidays off?
MC –What’s a holiday?
I –Like, Christmas break?
MC – What’s Christmas?
I- Yeah, do you get like Christmas day off?
MC – What’s Christmas? We work on Christmas. We work on New Year’s Day. We work on holidays.
I – Always?
MC – Always if it’s not our day off. We only go on vacation on our day off. We have, of course, fifteen days off, supposed to be. But that gets paid if you don’t avail yourself of it.
I – So how?
MC –I’m sorry to say but we are shorthanded right now. So we have to forgo but holidays are not for deskmen and reporters. Only for the administrative people, Saturdays they work only half days, Sunday is their day off. But all of us here are, we have different day offs because the desks should be manned everyday. The newspaper comes out everyday. If you like holidays, don’t work for the newspaper. And if you want to get rich, don’t go into journalism. (laughs)
I – Very honest. (laughs)
MC- Unless, well, some guys, they’re enterprising, they become rich. I don’t know how.
I – Were you ever a cub reporter?
MC – No, when I joined the Free Press, that was my first job. I took the job as copy reader, proof reader and writer. In the newspapers, usually the route is you’re a cub reporter then you show your mettle and if they like you, then they’ll give you a regular job as reporter. You get a beat. Usually the beat assigned to a neophyte is the police beat which is a good training ground. The police beat, sports, that’s where you can show your mettle and you can cut your teeth.
I – So you’re first beat was a police beat?
MC – No, at the Free Press, I was being given assignments that were not for the big shots, I mean, the stars of the magazine. I was sometimes entertainment, sometimes police but we only touch the big stories not the usual. When there’s a massacre and then you interview... In entertainment, you interview Nora Aunor, who was hot then, Fernando Poe or whoever won the FAMAS.
I – I see. Have you had any memorable editors?
MC – Mr. Locsin because he was my first editor in chief and he was very human, very helpful and inspiring.
I –How was he when it came to accuracy, ethics and the grammar aspects of news writing? Like how did he treat news writing?
MC – The editors, some of them have their predilections but of course, grammar is grammar and you can’t change that. You have to be grammatical. So editors are always on the lookout for grammatical mistakes but it’s not just grammar, also its idioms which most reporters seem not to know. There are too many of them. Yes and they tell you that’s why you’re at the desk. That’s your job, you straighten out our English.
I – How about deadlines? What is their attitude towards that? The editors?
MC – The editors?
I – Mr. Locsin.
MC – Well, like any editor, his attitude towards the deadline is that you beat it, you don’t miss it, not on your life. Because if you miss the deadline, then you miss everything. You have to come out at this exact time, being on the streets and beat the competition especially now it’s tough, so many papers, so little advertising. They killed the cigarette ads. (laughs)
I – Oh they did?
MC – Yes.
I – Howcome?
MC – There’s a law that says no advertising cigarettes. No ads. No print ads, no commercials, no nothing. Yes, Mr. Tan is unhappy. Well, nevertheless, cigarettes are bought.
I – Yeah.
MC – You can’t stop people from smoking.
I - Yeah, that’s true.
MC – Only people like me. I don’t smoke.
I – Sir, what were the ethics of Mr. Locsin?
MC – The ethics?
I – Yes.
MC – He was a very ethical journalist. No hanky-panky, the truth and nothing but, as far as I knew. (laughs)
I – (laughs) Have you had any memorable colleagues? What made them unforgettable?
MC – Oh yes, some are unforgettable because of their quirks. Some are very good workers, very cooperative. Some are pretty. But the ones who stand out are actually like that one editor who was always fighting with everybody except me. That’s the thing with me; I never get into trouble with anybody. Not the editor, the editor in cheif, not even the owners, I don’t know if they know me.
I – What’s the name of the editor that kept fighting everyone?
MC – He’s deceased and his name was Manolo. Ah no, not Manolo! Wrong. That guy’s still alive. (laughs) We called him Boy but he was not young. He was just a bit younger than me then. But he died, I think, 5 years ago, died young, as a matter of fact, because he wasn’t... I don’t think he was fifty when he died. I’m now 67. I was older than him when he was the editor.
I – What was his name?
MC – Boy.
I – Boy?
MC – I’m not going to tell you his last name. Too personal.
I – Alright.
MC – But in other ways, he was nice. Anyway, he was nice to me. (laughs)
I – That’s good. (laughs)
MC – Good for me. I was the subordinate. (laughs)
I – So what were your best memories as a young reporter? When you just started?
MC –I think when I interviewed... What’s her name? [Celia Rodriguez] That’s the trouble with getting old. She’s a character actress. She won the FAMAS. Why did I forget her name? Because she was intelligent, she was good to talk with. Yes, and she gave me cake for merienda. And then, what else? I was young then so I wasn’t getting the really juicy assignments. But one that I can’t forget is the kidnapping story, a brother and sister, two kids, they were kidnapped by the ex-worker of their parents. The kidnapper was asking for money but the kids were already dead. And that was the story, I interviewed the parents, it’s tough, very tough talking to parents of kids like that. You can never forget how you can feel their pain.
I – Were you able to cover any events like Martial Law or EDSA?
MC – Yeah.
I – Or any EDSA revolution?
MC – No, not that because I was no longer in the mainstream journalism but before that, the run up to Martial Law and the demonstrations were getting bigger, more ruckus. I covered demonstrations. One was in Caloocan where the reporters and photographers got clobbered. We ran for our lives.
I - How about recently? Did you cover anything like the mutinies or the...?
MC – No because I’ve been tied down to the desk so I’m far from the action. Either way, I wouldn’t do any good there. My legs are too... (laughs)
I – So the most action you covered was in the demonstrations?
MC- Yeah, the demos.
I – And when you were running for your life, they were chasing you running also? Or with weapons?
MC –Well, they had weapons. There were goons there. The Caloocan high official then was using goons to intimidate demonstrators. By the way, I don’t come across that word anymore, demonstrators. It’s now rally. Rallyist. But rallyist, I don’t think it’s in the dictionary.
I – Really?
MC – Rallyist. Rally, yes. Demonstrator. But rallyist is a new thing. But it’s current, it’s what the people use.
I –A while ago, you were talking about how you were working here when it was Martial Law and right during that time...
MC – No, no. Martial Law came when I was with the magazine, Free Press. My experience then was on the way of Martial Law, when Martial Law was declared. It was September and I was going, early morning before dawn, I was ready to go to Iloilo. I had a coverage there. I slept at the office in the library then I was rudely awakened by a soldier with an M-16, oh, M-14, they didn’t have M-16’s then, ArmaLite. He woke me up with an ArmaLite.
I – Wow, that’s so scary.
MC – “Hoy, gising! Martial Law na!” And then we were lead out, like this (puts hands behind head). We were like criminals. They got my tape recorder and they said they would return it after investigating but I never got it back. (laughs) Ano pa yun, yung tape recorder noon? Yung tape talaga.
I – Yung malaking tape?
MC – Oo, yung malaki talaga. Tapos wala pang built in microphone, yan (pretends to extend a mic). Pero puwede, pero ngayon iba na eh.
I – So in those times, in Martial Law, they weren’t good to journalists?
MC – They were in the sense that they gave the journalists they kicked out, other jobs. They gave them jobs in the government but the rest were put in jail. I have a friend who was writing for the Free Press, a poet, Eman Lacaba. He’s the brother of Pete Lacaba. I don’t know if you know him, he’s a screenplay writer, multi-awarded. His brother Eman was a poet and an activist, he was anti-government, he ran underground. When I last heard about him, he was found in a shallow grave, shot in the back of the head, his hands were tied like that (puts hands behind back). He was a UP student, a graduate of UP, a poet. Quiet fellow, tall, quiet, very kind. He died for his beliefs. Some people who shouldn’t die young, die young because of so many people who should die. (laughs) I hope I didn’t disappoint you.
I – No, not at all! Not only was your interview very informative, it was also very funny.
MC – Thank you for your interest. What are you students of?
I – We’re from La Salle.
MC – What course?
I – Communication Arts.
MC – Ah, that’s good. Not print. (laughs)
I – But for this interview, we’re actually in a print class. We’re doing it for a print class.
MC – Actually, I don’t know what print is about.
I – Thank you very, very much for your time Mr. Ces.
MC – I hope you graduate despite this interview.
I – Oh, we definitely will.

_______________________________________________________

Manuel Ces was born on August 20, 1941 in Sorsogon. At the time of the interview he was an editorial consultant to People's Journal.

No comments: